Ateneo de Davao University Computer Science Cluster believes that Free and Open Source Software provides the greatest potential to bridge the digital divide in the Philippines. Through FOSS, more Filipinos will have access to computers, information, knowledge, and the Internet. The Computer Science Cluster this aims to be the FOSS champion in Mindanao by advocating for and educating people in open source technologies.
In view of this, the Commission on Higher Education (CHED) has given ADDU CSC a grant to function as a Center for Development in IT Education. The grant is used for human capacity-building, upgrade of facilities, advocacy, awareness, and education programs in FOSS. Our primary audience are our affiliate schools, colleges, and universities in the region who in turn will impart this knowledge to their students and to local industry.
As a Center of Development in IT Education, ADDU CSC will:
- Develop replicable, modular, and interchangeable open source training programs;
- Train the trainors from other schools in the region in the delivery of the training programs;
- Organize and deliver open source training for other interested parties;
- Provide the use of facilities for trainings and workshops;
- Advocate and educate people in FOSS by organizing activities promoting open source technologies; and
- Build a project web site to disseminate the materials more efficiently and reach the greatest number of educators